Baking, cooking, grilling-BD Recipe Corner

Its been 3 days and i still dont have my first indian dish pic

Russian pelmeni. I ussually make a whole bunch but dont cook them. I put em in ziploc bags and throw them in the freezer for if i have a day im too lazy to make something from scratch and i just throw them in the water and boil them. I have 3 freezer/refrigerators and one of the freezers is full of pelmeni. It works well with sour cream.

Plov, or pilaf. This takes awhile to prepare but after i turn up the heat, i have quite a bit of time to do other things. As i understand theres a arabic and indian and some eastern european countries’ own variants. I have no idea which country mine belongs to. My mum taught me it and she knows a lot of arabic and russian dishes

Pm me if you rly wanna know the recipes for either

4 Likes

So the long await has come to an end and I am finally posting the pics.
Also my contribution to these dishes was only that I went out and bought the material , I am not a good cook :frowning: , mom and sister made these.

8 Likes

after standing for 27 days the food still looks good. wow

5 Likes

A dinner so good I made it 2 nights in a row: Sakrie’s “Manhattan” Clam Chowder (note:not actually a chowder because I didn’t add potatoes because the stock was too good, but could easily be added to turn into a ‘real’ chowder)

Cook time: 1 hour

Ingredients:

• shallot
  • onion (Vidalia preferred but any will do)
  • 6-7 cloves of garlic (not at all a lot, trust me on it)
  • 3-4 celery tops, leaves included (most underrated aromatic there is)
  • 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley (if using dried, 1 tablespoon)
  • 1 tablespoon basil (dried I think works best here actually)
  • 2 Cups GOOD white wine
  • 1/4-3/8 Cup dry sherry
  • 1 & 1/2 tablespoon tomato paste
  • 1/2 tablespoon crushed red pepper flakes
  • 1 tablespoon butter
  • 1/4 cup olive oil
  • 1/2 green bell pepper
  • 1 lemon
  • 1 pound clams (littleneck work best, but any will do. Mussels also will work)

Rough chop on the shallot, celery, onion, bell pepper. Heat butter and olive oil over high-medium heat and toss in that stuff to soften and let it start to break down, stirring it a few times. Sprinkle salt and crushed black pepper (no idea amounts, probably like 1 teaspoon each) over to help the moisture release; toss in crushed red pepper, dried basil, and garlic and allow to cook over high-medium heat for an additional couple of minutes. Toss in tomato paste, stir into mixture over the same heat for another 1-2 minutes. Don’t be afraid of browning, that’s flavor baby.

Add the sherry first, turn the heat to high, stir in and allow the alcohol to cook off for 1-2 minutes; then add the white wine over the same heat and allow the alcohol to cook off for 5 minutes while stirring up the frond from the bottom/sides of the pot. Squeeze the lemon in, then add water (probably about 1250mL of water, this I actually just measured for my own memory’s sake) as well as half of the chopper parsley. Crank that heat to high and let it roll at a boil for 10-15 minutes.

Meanwhile clean your clams you filthy animal. Toss em in a bowl of water and give em a light scrub to remove any debris; transfer to a steamer basket. Leave the boiling stock on high when you throw the steamer basket on top; allow to steam for 10 minutes. Check that your clams have opened before you turn the heat off. Use a strainer and another pot to separate the stock, make sure to crush the solids in the strainer as that stuff is the best part. Serve like pictured. You will need a spoon because that broth is fucking delicious.

The flavor profile will be acidic on the front end (lemon/sherry ‘punch’), some depth in the center from the tomato paste and white wine, and finish with a ‘warmth’ from adding the red pepper flakes early (instead of a ‘heat’ if added later, as you’re letting the oils break down into the broth longer) with decadent aromatics from the basil/parsley/celery-leaves.

3 Likes